Friday, September 28, 2012

Rachel: Nano book!

So, I'm aware that there aren't really that many people left on this blog and so very few people will read this, but I had to blab about it to SOMEBODY. As usual, I am posting obsessively about a book, but this time it isn't Death List. It is my currently title-less nano book. I'm reviving an idea that I toyed with last year during nanowrimo, but this time it's actually panning out. I don't have too much in the way of a plot yet (I can summarize what I know about that in about a sentence, which we'll get to :p) but I am rapidly becoming a master of my characters! Would you like to meet them? I'll assume you said yes.

My main characters are:

Anilom Salinikera (F) (the story is told through her.)
Fell Ko (M)
Inlilia Lit (F)
Senn Mehr (M)
Ketta Wolefnoll (M)
Seddo Egglian (M)
Mewko Monroe (F)
Stim Nyznik (F)
Checkillion (Chek) Hartford (M)
Cossm King (M)

I included their genders, since some of their names are kind of ambiguous. The book takes place in the VERY distant future, millions and millions of years from now. Most humans were wiped out during a nuclear war that took place ages ago (from the "present" that the book takes place in) and those who survived became the ancestors of my characters.

Here's what happened. Most humans were killed, right? And those who weren't and were near one another kind of got together (humans are social creatures) and attempted to survive as part of a new civilization. They disagreed on how to protect themselves from radiation, however, so they split into two different groups. One group headed to the mountains, and the other group headed underground. Obviously there were still a lot of deaths either way,  but some of them survived and the human race essentially started over. The characters who I have listed up there are descended from the people who took refuge underground. They live in a village called Samot, which is almost completely in a bunch of tunnels and things under the surface of the Earth. Because their people has been living in darkness for so long, they have certain adaptions: excellent night vision (though not quite as good vision in daylight) and very good hearing. They only come up to the surface to hunt and gather food and during the nighttime for certain special ceremonies and celebrations. They have their own religion and customs, which I am still developing, but have a pretty good grasp on. They pray to multiple gods, which are:

Bion--Goddess of life, prosperity, and basically everything that is good. The most celebrated god in Samot.
Morrah--God of death, destitution, and lots of bad things (I'm not going to bet to specific here; it's all
               still new.)
Rideltra--God of knowledge and anything similar.
Sisela--Goddess of ignorance and innocence and such.
Gamis--God of hate, anger, ferocity, and anything similar.
Xilia--Goddess of love, temptation, jealously, and powerful emotions and things of that nature.
Kurbra--God of illness.
Eadi--Goddess of heath.

So these are my gods, and they eventually become characters, since this is one of those books where the gods actually exist. I'm still working out the kinks with all of that, but it has to stay because it is the source of the main conflict in the book. This sort of leads me into what I know of the plot so far, so here we go with that.

So the people of Samot and Ticnamor (the mountain village) hate each other because they are convinced that  deaths that have been taking place in each village are the doing of the other village. The people in Samot have a custom where teenagers are selected for missions before they make the ceremonial transition into adulthood, and my characters are selected to embark on a journey to Ticnamor to confront and possibly fight the Ticnamorian warriors who are wreaking havoc on Samot. Long story short, they make it to Ticnamor only to find that the Ticnamorians aren't responsible for anything that is happening in Samot, and it becomes clear that there is a darker force at hand. It turns out to be the workings of Morrah, who is freaking out because he is the least liked of all the gods and is tired of being able to bring nothing good into the world. He won't listen to any of the other gods, so, of course, it falls to my characters to bring her back to him senses before he destroys all of humanity. What's kind of neat about this is that Anilom, who is my MC, doesn't have parents and doesn't know anything about them (this isn't all that unusual in Samot, since people are being killed all the time), and it turns out that Morrah is her father. I'm not sure what happened to her mom, but the important thing is that Anilom is the living example that Morrah IS capable of bringing life as well as death, which sets things right again and blah blah blah. It's going to be far more epic than that, of course, but that's the general gist of it. Oh, and Anilom isn't THAT unique with having a god as her father, and she doesn't really have any special powers or anything because of it. Morrah has just never successfully fathered a child before, which is why it's a big deal. So, yeah.

I'm sure I'll blabber more about this later, but for now, it's bedtime.

-Iridian


2 comments:

  1. Interesting! Be careful with the 'god being her father' thing though, because she can easily become a Mary Sue if she's too overpowered because of it.

    -Cori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you. And I love this. And I'm just so ajhasocgsdkvbefoabviwah right now. :D

    -H

    ReplyDelete