Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sarah: Is this too...?

The planning, the deception, the secrecy…it had all been in vain.

With ice in my heart, I watched him prepare to defend himself. I knew I should be doing the same thing: readying my weapon, working through strategies, attempting not to think that everything we did would be wasted.

Yet all I could do was stare. His intense concentration betrayed no hint of doubt, though we were grossly outnumbered. His hands didn’t shake as he gripped his blade. Yet I knew—as if I could read his mind—that he was just as scared as I was.

I wanted desperately to touch him. Take his hand, brush the hair out of his face, wrap my arms around him…something, anything, to comfort him.

It was silly to think such things as we were preparing to die.

We could expect no help. At that moment, everyone was fighting for their lives just as we would soon be fighting for ours. Would I ever learn the outcome of that battle?

The odds of that didn’t look so good.

Bright blue eyes, wild and fierce with the craving of my death, watched for the moment when I would make a mistake. The moment I would surely die.

(c) Sarah Goebel 2010


So, this is my current preface. Is it too 'foreshad
ow-y'? Or is it okay to have something like that in the beginning? Should I throw it out?

My first chapter starts off with a newspaper article describing the recent murders in NYC. Would it be better just to dive right in with that? Or is the preface good?

By the way...this is my villain.

Her name is Talia Ambrose and she's the most kick-ass villain I've ever written. Don't tell Zoe, but I'm secretly rooting for Talia. (Yeah, like that doesn't make me sound crazy...)

Anyway, let know what you think about the preface thingy.


2 comments:

  1. That was horrible. I don't think I've read anything so atrocious.

    KIDDING. I loved it (like everything else you write :P)! Seriously, your word choice is amazing and everything was so vivid. You definitely have a talent. Post the first chapter on OSAAWAKMS when it's done, I can't wait to read more :D!!ohfds87ucxzj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, oh Nicole. For a second I was like 'What?! That was so mean.' =)

    But Sarah, this was definitely amazing.

    ReplyDelete