Monday, October 10, 2011

Nicole: Insecurities

After reading about how busy everybody's been I feel kind of guilty for not posting! I've used had two weeks holidays, and I have been working a whole bunch, I've still had a lot of time off. I'm just drained and I guess that's my excuse.

Another thing I've really been struggling with lately are my insecurities. You guys might already know this, but I'm short... like really short. And it sucks being the shortest girl in my year level. For some reason lately it's really been bothering me more than usual.

I've realised that while I pretend it doesn't bother me and like I've gotten used to it, it really affects (effects?) me a lot more than what I'd like to admit. A lot of people make comments about it too, like it's the only thing that defines me. It's really hard too with boys because it makes me look so much younger than I am, and some people just can't look passed it.

I'm disappointed in myself too because I wish that I could just accept it and not care, but I don't know how. I also feel like I should love myself for how I am, and I want to, but I just don't know where to start. I don't really know what to do anymore. Does anybody have any advice?

4 comments:

  1. If helps any, I'm one of the tallest girls in my school...

    And, check that out. ---> http://www.girlsaskguys.com/Dating-Questions/489121-do-guys-like-petite-girls.html

    It's okay to hate on being short, but it's just how you are (not that you don't know that).

    I feel like guys don't like me simply because I'm tall too, a lot of the time. But if you accept it, it doesn't matter if you're the shortest or the tallest. The only thing that makes it define you- that makes other people classify you as that one thing, is that your insecure.

    Laugh it off instead of having it bother you. You'll get way more confident, and people will see you that way instead.

    Being short doesn't define you, you define yourself. Just try and keep that in mind.

    I hope I helped! And don't forget to follow the link. It might put the 'guy' thing into perspective. :)

    -H

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have our little insecurites that we wish we could just get over. The truth is, though, we can't change certain things about ourselves and we have to start accepting them. I don't know why we feel like we aren't good enough because of our insecurities, but it's a natural human thing to do. Anyone that laughs at you for being short is probably covering up their own insecurities, and probably isn't someone worth knowing anyway.

    I know one girl at my school who's super short, and at first people made fun of her a lot. I know she was really insecure, but now she makes up for her height with her huge personality and ability to make people laugh. She is one of the nicest people I know, and she's started to accept that she is short. She can laugh off jokes and realize that they are not to be mean or insulting.

    Everyone here on SAAWAKM loves you for who you are, we don't care how tall you are. Keep smiling. =)

    ~Nat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also one of the shortest girls in my year. It bothers me sometimes, especially since I'm the oldest girl as well; I have to look up a little bit to see eye level with everyone, and they all think I'm much younger than them.
    People call me a midget sometimes, since I'm only five feet tall. But sometimes it has perks, since even though I have sticks for arms and weigh only 96 pounds, people think I'm weak but I'm actually really, really strong.
    I got lucky, though (in a way). They don't really call me short. Actually, they call me the "Drag Queen." lmao.
    -Cori

    ReplyDelete