Monday, January 3, 2011

Nat: An Excerpt that I found...

I was just reading through some old files and found this. And I wanted to share it with you guys.

"Alec, wait!" I shouted, my hand outstretched. I watched carefully, but he didn't stop or turn around. "Alec, I'm sorry!" I cried desperately. "I made a mistake."
"A pretty big mistake, if you ask me," he said forcefully, his back still to me. He'd stopped walking now.
"I know," I admitted. "I messed up, and -"
"And now my cousins, my family, are in jail!" Alec spun to face me. "Who are you, Claribel?" he demanded. "You aren't who I thought you were."
"Don't call me Claribel," I pleaded quietly. "My name is Clary."
"No, it isn't," Alec exclaimed. "You can't pretend anymore, Claribel." Now he was just mocking me, trying to hurt me, and it was working. "You're a Chancellor's daughter, Claribel. Wear your 3-syllable name with pride, and quit trying to be one of us."
Tears started to roll down my face. "I'm not trying to be one of you, Alec," I said, praying that he would understand. "Because I know I never can be. But I wish I was."
It seemed that Alec didn't have anything to say to that. He opened his mouth, speechless, and looked at me. After a long silence, he asked. "Why?"
"Why what?" I whimpered.
"Why would you want to be one of us?" he asked, looking utterly astonished. "You have everything you could ever want, Clary. Everything. But us? We have nothing, and that's never going to change."
Suddenly, I couldn't hold my thoughts in any longer. "But why couldn't it change?" I burst out. "Why can't we change our destiny? I wish that Commoners could become Chancellors, and the Poor become Warriors. I wish I could wear brown clothes if I wanted to, and change my name to Clary. Why can't people see that? It isn't where you're born that counts; it's what you do with what you have, and -" I hadn't finished my speech, but Alec strode over to me, standing about an inch away from me. I could feel the electricity sparking between our nearly-touching limbs.
"I knew there was a reason I loved you," Alec whispered, and then he kissed me.
It was what I'd been longing for: the feel of Alec's lips pressed against mine, gentle and hungry; his hand on my lower back; how smooth his hair felt tangled beneath my fingers; electrical energy jumping between us; passion and intense longing filling my every nerve ending. The kiss seemed to last for eternity, but was also over too soon. We broke away from each other, gasping for breath. I was staring straight into Alec's deep blue eyes.
"I've wanted to do that for such a long time," Alec breathed, and I could smell the mint on his breath.
"Me too," I whispered, then smiled. "Let's do it again."

No comments:

Post a Comment