Thursday, March 11, 2010

Kas: Question.

Okay, so maiah is the only one of you guys who ever got to read the beginning of my first draft of the novel. Which we called "The Dream Scene." It got taken out of the story when i started over. And lately i've been having a lot of trouble starting ch 2.

So, i've been thinking about resurecting the dream scene, and making it the beggining of ch 2.

Do you guys think this would be a good beggining to ch 2?


I'd never seen anything more beautiful. I was standing at the edge of a high cliff, over-looking the sea, as the wind whipped my hair into my face. The sky was golden, glowing brighter than I’d ever seen. Although barely any light reached me now, as the setting sun stretched towards the shoreline. Every moment the world grew darker, and soon all the light would be gone, taking this beautiful sight along with it.

But it wasn’t the sunset I couldn’t take my eyes off of.

Standing in the shadows only a few feet in front of me was a boy, his dark eyes stared out at me from beneath the shaggy brown hair that had fallen into his face. He was close enough for me to touch, if only I reached my arm out fully, but I didn’t dare. The thought of reaching out into the darkness made me shiver. He seemed so familiar, but i couldn't figure out why. I could feel his eyes as he watched me, and I wanted to run. I wanted to go as far away from him as I could, but my feet wouldn’t move.

"Hello." His voice was low, barely audible over the splashing of the water. I jumped at the sound.
He took a step towards me, a smile stretching onto his face, and pushed his hair away from his eyes. They were black, empty, darker than anyone’s eyes should ever get. My whole body was screaming that this was dangerous, that I should run away from him. I stepped back cautiously, very aware of the high cliff I stood on.

"You know, you are very pretty." He said, taking another slow step in my direction, only this time the movement brought him out of the shadows and into the bright light.

His face changed instantly, it was no longer dark and haunting, but peaceful. I could see now that his hair was, in fact, a pale blonde, and his eyes, coming to life in the bright sunshine, had turned light green. There was no trace of the darkness that had filled them before. He was perfect. I sighed, all hints of worry had disappeared from my mind.

I took a step forward, reaching up to stroke his skin. I brushed my fingers across his cheek, it was soft. Smiling to myself, I moved my hand down to rest on his chest, the white t-shirt he wore strained against his muscles. Leaning his head down towards me he smiled, his white teeth glistening in the sunlight. I felt his hands as they wrapped around my waist, then slid onto my lower back. He pulled me forward, closer to his warm body. My face was so close to his I could feel his breath on my lips.

"I love you carter." His voice sounded softer now.

I looked up into his eyes, “I love you too."

Then all in one quick movement he closed the space between our bodies, and pulled my lips to his. My arms flew, instinctively, around his neck, and I pulled my self up towards him, crushing his lips to my own. Out of the corner of my eye I could see the sun as the last part of it sunk beneath the horizon, taking with it all the light.

The world went dark. Something was wrong. His lips were still on mine, moving slowly, but they were colder. I pushed away from him, to look at his face and almost screamed. The green eyes, his pale hair, it hadn't been real. He stood before me dark once more.

"What’s wrong?" He asked. His depthless eyes watching me, scanning over my body. I shook my head. He smiled, taking a step towards me. I backed up, but I knew only a few more steps would send me plunging down into the freezing water. His smile faltered, the look on his face quickly changed to outrage. He stepped again, this time moving much faster, and grabbed my arms.

"Why are you doing this?" He screamed into my face, tightening his grip on my wrists. I winced from the pain, I knew it wouldn't take much for him to break my bones.

I looked up at him, tears filling my eyes. He looked terrifying.

He brought his face closer to mine, "Answer me."

When I didn’t answer he pulled me forward, trying to bring my body close to his again. I had to take a step in order to keep him from touching me. I screamed at him to stop, but my voice was lost in the sound of the waves. I pulled back, trying to free myself from his grip, but he just
tightened it.

Again he pulled me towards him and I knew that one more step backwards, one more desperate step away from him, and I would fall. I pushed at him, but he just laughed... I felt his hands leave my wrists and move down to my hips. He kept his eyes on my face and then he pulled me towards him, this time bringing his lips back to mine. I jumped backwards, feeling the ground leave my feet and instantly realizing my mistake. I fell.

I slid through the air quickly, screaming for help. But I knew it was pointless, no one would save me, there was no one here. Looking down, I saw the enormous black sea. It grew closer every second. Taking a deep breath, I closed my eyes tight, waiting for the impact.

The water was cold and it hit me from every different direction, knocking the air out of my lungs. It crushed me downwards, sucking my fragile body deeper into the freezing water. Almost as if it wanted me to die here, to fall farther and farther, until all hope of escaping was gone. I tried to swim, to reach the surface, but was only pushed deeper into the depthless black water. Finally accepting my fate, I gave in, letting the water overpower me. The cold liquid filled my lungs and white spots covered my eyes. Everything went cold. It was all over. I thought of the mysterious stranger, his eyes, his lips before the blackness completely engulfed me.

I woke up, gasping for air. I had been holding my breath in my sleep. My body heaved with every inhale, and there was a sharp pain in the center of my chest. The sound of my heart beating pounded loudly in the back of my head. I squeezed my eyes shut, but I could still faintly hear the roar of the waves echoing in my ears. My mouth was dry and felt like cotton, but I could taste the salt from the water on my tongue. I sat up and my head immediately started screaming in protest. I started rubbing at my temples. It was only a dream, I assured myself. It wasn't real. I took a few more deep breaths, my heart finally slowing, and climbed off my bed.

Okay, well tell me what you guys think...

-K

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Haha. I was against the entire idea of getting rid of it in the first place. hahaha.

    And also, with the readers meeting Silas, and then having this mystery creeper guy in the dream scene...it will...make it interesting? Haha i don't know how to word it..but you get what I mean. Hopefully. Haha.

    Do it. Do it. Do it.

    Doing it will equal awesomeness.

    So do it.
    Haha.

    -Maiah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know how much i love awesomeness! Okay, and yeah that was what i was thinking, im goign to have to edit it a bit to make it fit right, but i think im going to try making the dream guy silas. Haha.

    -K

    ReplyDelete