Monday, March 29, 2010

Kas: Something i wrote...


Okay, i just got finished reading Nicole's last post, Question, and i wanted to share something with you guys that i didnt plan on even writing.


In my fourth hour, Biology, i have a lot of spare time, its an easy class, so i get things done pretty quickly. Well, i had some extra time today, and i got to thinking about my novel. I've had a few people read the first chapter, and a few said it was either too short, or it lacked description. So i started writing what i wanted to try the next time i started writing, and this is what i got...
Keep in mind that no one was supposed to read this, im just typing it word-for-word from a page of notebook paper. So its all basically just a huge note-to-self kind of thing.

"I need a LOT more description. I need to show her feelings about whats happening. I have to close my eyes and imagine that im there, that im Her. I need to go through it scene by scene in my mind, and type what i would be feeling in her situation. No worrying about grammar or spelling just yet, i want only the thoughts and feelings."
"I want some physical description too. Whatdoes a certain tree look like, does it remind her of anything? Im going intot he dialogue and encounter with Silas too quickly. I need some backround so the readers get to know Carter better. I need to play the scene in my head, act like it was me, like it actually happened, and now its a memory. I need to write like im writing to myself, or in a diary to read later so i wont forget it. These characters need to seem real. Silas is my character, i created him, but for right now i need to pretend that all i know is what Carter knows about him. I know nothing but what he tells her or she observes. As i write, i will learn, and he will form into the person i created, or he will form into someone completely different, I can't decide for him. "
"Tyler doesn't exist exist to me right now, Carter doesn't know that he even exists. So he doesn't. I can't think about what happens in the future, because my character cant. She doesn't know about Tylaer, or that Silas is a Malkini. When im her, writing as her, those thoughts go away and i only know what she does at that point in the story."
I came up with this technique, but i have yet to try it. You all are welcome to use it, if you want. But i thoguht it would be a good answer to Nicole's post. I know a lot of that you wont know what im talking about, cause its mostly things about my story, but i hope you know what i meant...
:D
-K

1 comment:

  1. (: Thanks, this was super helpful, actually.(: But I saw your book outline on WoP (reallyyy great too btw, haha. Aw, I wish she stayed with Silas :(, he sounded sexy) and I think I'll do something similar to that for my first few chapters and then once I've written them, I'll do this to edit it(: Thanks again :D.

    ReplyDelete