Thursday, March 11, 2010

Maiah: Opinions Needed!

So I'm working on chapter 3. And I have 2,000 words done in it so far. Now I need your opinion on something. This scene comes in like the middle of the chapter, and I want to know if I should keep this? Haha. By the way, I'm going to post just the scene, not the enitre chpt. Just letting you know. :D

Aimee and I made our way through the cluster of cars toward Aimee's own car; until out of the corner of my eye I spotted a dark figure walking towards us. I froze mid stride.

Aimee whipped around to look at me. Slowly, she followed my stare. The tall street lights were out of range for us to make out any features but from the distance it looked male. Tall. Scary. He didn't seem to notice me and Aimee. Or least that's what I thought.

"Oh my-Rose!" Aimee shouted in a hushed ramble of words. "Do you know who that is? Dude, I was kidding about the whole stalking thing...." Aimee let out a nervouse burst of laughter. "Alright this is just weird. I seriously think that Tristen's stalking you now."

It was Tristen. Aimee yanked on my arm and hauled me into her car. We shrunk into our seats and tried to stay still as Tristen walked past the hood of the car. As he passed I recognized a flicker in his eyes, and I could see his eyes turn slightly toward our direction. A smirk crept across his face, and he looked as if he were laughing silently to himself. The black t-shirt he wore fit snuggly to his chest and abs. Long lean muscles fell from where his t-shirt cut off and down the rest of the length of his arm. My heart stuttered out a beat. Had he noticed me? Was that why he was smiling? Fear and anxiety rippled through me.

Once he passed, I let out an uneven breath, finally realizing that I'd been holding it. After another silent minute, Aimee spoke. "We should follow him. See what he's up to," She lurched up from her seat and popped open the car door. I gasped and grabbed her arm.
"What? No! Are you crazy?"
"C'mon, Rose. What's the worst that could happen?"
"Huh I don't know Aimee...maybe he might see us! Please let's just go," I begged her. Aimee thought for a moment.
"Well I'm gonna go follow him." Then she jumped out of the car and I watched her steps ascend toward where Tristen had gone. I bit down on my lower lip and then raced after her. Each step I took closer to the dark building Tristen had had gone into to, the beating of my heart grew louder. Adrenaline flooded in my veins. There was a slight ringing inside my ears. Stop! Rose, this is a bad idea, my brain screamed at me. This is dangerous! Stop! I said stop, why are you not stopping!? The words were left to echo through my skull.

Aimee turned to look at me when we reached the front door of the building, her hand already on the old doorknob. I observed the building with an anxious glance. It was completely dark and it seemed abandoned and dead. What purpose would Tristen have here? A smirk spread over Aimee's face and she held a finger to her lips. With a flick of her wrist she opened up the door. I gulped and followed her inside.

Just like the outside of it, it was black and old and run-down. Objects; poles, bricks, bars, hammers, sticks and saws, covered the floor, and were pressed up against the wall to make more space. Except on the inside, it looked more like a house then an old abandoned store building. I could see open doorways, leading into seperate rooms. A spiral stairway at the other end of the room.But there was nobody there....
A chill ripled up my body. We walked further inside the building. I let my fingers trail along the wall. "Aimee he's not here."

"Shh," Aimee hushed me. "Don't you hear the voices?" She whispered. I strained to listen for any other sound but my frantic heart. And then I heard it. Two voices coming from above.
"Yeah...it's coming from upstairs," I said quietly.
I tried to listen to what they were saying. It sounded like one person had said "Rose,". Then the next sounded like, "I could never do that to her." Tthe next was a different voice. It was harder and demanding.

"You have to. This is what we are, son,". I felt a tremor of fear shake my body.
"We shouldn't be here. We're breaking and entering. Oh my God we're going to die," My voice was edging toward hysteria.

"Rose," Aimee warned sternly. "Chill." She took a step forward, deeper into the building. The floor board cried loudly in response. The voices ceased and everything seemed to freeze. And in one quick moment, there were footsteps thundering down the stairs hidden in the dark, and Aimee was running for the door. I tried to run too, but I couldn't. I couldn't move. My shirt was stuck on something! I tried to pull away, and then there was a loud tearing noise. I felt the fabric of my shirt come slightly loose, I gasped. But before I could escape, there were two long arms on either side of my face, keeping me from running away. Tristen smiled at me, then shook his head slowly.

"You followed me?" I wasn't sure how to respond to that.
"I-No I...it's just that I-"
"You what?" I chewed on my lower lip unable to speak.
"I'm not following you," I finally said. "You're following me. Lately you've been almost every where I have."
"Oh and that can't be a coincidence?"
"No." I answered too quickly. I could barley see his face; covered with darkness. Where was Aimee? She probably left me, I thought. I'm going to kill her once I get out of here. I searched Tristen's black eyes for a moment. "Answer one question, and I'll be on my way."
Tristen's grin widened. "Not so fast. I have a question for you, myself," Tristen took a step closer so that our bodies were almost touching. "Why did you follow me inside here?"
"I-It was Aimee's idea." Tristen nodded his head thoughtfully, trying to compose his face but a smirk peaked through.

"Why are you here?" I asked. "What purpose do you have here?" I felt my shirt come even more lose. Shit. I tried to stay calm. Hopefully he won't notice if my shirt ends up completely falling off and I'm left in my freaking bra, I thought angrily.
"I used to live here with my mom before she died. Before they turned this area into an outdoor mall," I felt my chest swallow my heart.
"I'm sorry, Tristen," I said quietly.

"Don't worry. It's not your fault, of course. There's no reason to apologize," His face had gone serious. He looked down and a smile spread over his face. "Is your shirt," he cleared his throat. "Stuck?"

I felt my jaw drop slightly. "Uhm yeah. It's-I mean well it kind of...well my shirt kind of-"
Tristen chuckled and then pulled off his own shirt. The moon coming through the few windows hit his stomach and chest perfectly. I tried to look away. Tristen tossed me his black t-shirt and then continued grinning. I stared at him for a moment. "Could you turn around or something?" I finally prompted sternly.

"Oh, right. Sorry." He turned away.
I stripped off my tattered shirt and then quickly replaced it with Tristen's. "Okay, you can look now," I said. I observed the sleeves that went too far down my arm; the shirt was overall just too big. My legs felt weak, and my heart was thumping frantically. I was wearing one of Tristen's shirts. "I have to go," I said breathlessly.
He nodded; a smile still planted across his pale face. "Don't worry, Rose," He called after me, as I started to rush out of the old house. "I promise I didn't look."

No comments:

Post a Comment