Thursday, April 15, 2010

Nat: Challenge 5, Confidence

So here’s the truth about me: I’m not a naturally confident person. It takes a lot of effort for me to be outgoing and I work hard to portray that confident look. But what is it that gives me confidence? It’s a good question, one that I don’t really know the answer to myself. There are a few places where I’m confident: with my true friends, when I dance, with my family, when I write…but for me, confidence is all about acting. It’s the blinding brightness of the lights; the expectant faces of the audience; the way I slip into a character and become someone else; the swell of nervous anticipation. The second I’m on that stage, it’s like I know who I am and where I’m supposed to be. This is when all misgivings and restrictions disappear. I become the outgoing, wild girl, that I’ve always wanted to be. It’s like I’m finding out more about me, learning about the true me, who doesn’t show very often. I’m not saying I’m a great actor. Hell, I don’t even think I’m a very good actor. But it doesn’t matter to me. It’s where I feel at my best, the place that I’m the most confident. It’s the place where I get to shine.

~Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment