Sunday, June 27, 2010

Ned- Weekly Challenge #1

Okay, so here it is.
I chose Callie Baker, from Population Twenty-One, because she had the strongest history in my mind and I wanted to explore it more. So, Here it is, this will actually help you undrstand chapter 2 more, so yeah.

“Malcolm, don't leave me. Please.” I begged. He smiled at me, face burned and destroyed, but alive. And that's all that mattered. He didn't care that he'd never walk again, he didn't care that he'd have scars covering his face for the rest of his life. I was alive. I was unharmed, I'd be beautiful forever. That's all he ever said. Why didn't see this coming? Why couldn't I have prevented this. Why wasn't I there! Why couldn't I stop this.

“You're gonna grow up, beautiful and strong, Callie. You're gonna live for me, Calico, grow up, have kids, Malcolm isn't a bad name,” He winked, I smiled. “And Callie, you're never gonna lose me. I'm not going anywhere. I'll always be with you.”

You...” I sniffed, whipping the tears off my face, “You mean it?”

I promise.”

Honey? You're grandfather's here, say good bye to your brother now.” The nurse came in.

No!” I grabbed Malcolm's hand. “I won't leave him!”

Callie, go with Grandpa, I'll be waiting right here when you get back, I'm not going anywhere.”
I sniffed. “Okay...”

The nurse led me out to the waiting room, where Grandpa was looking out the window. Eyebrows wrinkled. I didn't think about it then, but he'd just lost his daughter. He must have been a mess, but he never showed it. Everyone was so fake around me, but I knew what they said when walked into a room, “Poor child,” “That's the girl who lost her parents.” “I hear her brothers in the hospital now, he won't make it.” “What a tragedy,” “She's so brave.”

But I wasn't brave. Grandpa was brave. Malcolm was brave. I wasn't.

Grandpa!” I fell into his chest, tears soaking his shirt.

Awe, 'oney, Callie, baby, It's okay.”

No it's not!” I sobbed.

No, your right, it's not. 'oney, it's tough, but we're gonna make it sweet 'eart, we just 'ave to be strong and be brave.”

Brave.

I'm not brave.

Grandpa?” I asked sniffing again, and looking up.

Hum?”

Where are we gonna live?”

I got it covered.”

Oh Grandpa!” I shrieked getting out of the car. “It's perfect!”

Yes.” Grandpa nodded. Looking down at the beach. I ran into the house, up the stairs and right into what would soon be my bed room. The walls were bright orange, the door and window trim was black. Like a tiger. Malcolm's favorite animal.

My favorite animal.

I looked out the window, from it you could see a huge field, cows and two girls (Greyson and Wynter, as I know now,) horse back riding.

Ohmygawd! Grandpa!”

Yes?” Grandpa asked from down the stairs, I quickly hurried down to him. His back was to me, unpacking groceries into the fridge. The bottom shelves filled, top shelve untouched.

Needs some help?” I chuckled.

Yes please.”

He wheeled his chair back.

There's some girls out back horseback riding.” I told him, loading the fridge.

Really?” His voice was empty.

Yeah. Can I go introduced myself?” I asked.

Callie. I have to tell you something.”

I gulped. “Yeah?”

Malcolm passed away.”

Kay, I hope you liked it. :)

-Ned.

No comments:

Post a Comment