Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Nicole: Challenge One

Whispers in a Forest

Photobucket
He crouched on the thick limb close to the top of the tree, and observed from above as she rushed through the forest. The dark tangle of unkempt curls that was her hair whipped behind her as she dodged logs and dashed in between trees. Her improper dress was already stained with dirt, and her breaths were coming in gasp
He stood, and leaped to the next nearest branch, following her as she continued to hopelessly scurry away from her fruitless problems. Although she was beautiful, she had no acumen as she aimlessly rushed through the woods. He guessed that she had never been this far into the forest before, but that didn’t surprise him considering that she belonged to The Hushers. He smiled to himself as he realised that his quarry had willing come to the forest, a perfect opportunity.
Raklovic…” The stench of her foul breath instantly made him aware of who had hissed his true name, before he’d even turned to inspect.
Once he had, he took in the majestic enchantress in front of him, her honey coloured hair shimmered under the sun like gold, and the inky markings on her face looked like obsidian in the shadows. Her drooping jewellery winked at him, and her murky eyes possessed a mischievous glint. Her beauty truly was tragic.
“It would be wise, Nechama, if you never uttered that name again.” Venom practically dripped from his voice, not even he could fathom what might happen if someone of authority ever obtained his true name.
She shrugged, unfazed by the sudden vicious expression that masked his face. “You would be wise not to threaten a gypsy, young Raklovic."
He clicked his tongue in an arrogant snicker, but she ignored it. Nechama tiptoed along the thin branch and her red skirt danced, whispering to her legs, as she leaped over to the limb he was located on.
“I see your quest is going miserably.” She said in a slightly uninterested tone, referring to his current voyage. She shook her hips tranquilly, and the way she moved reminded him of a bending willow, wise and fierce.
“And how would you know that, oh clever soothsayer?”
“Why would you observe, when you could be acting? That tells me everything I need to know about your quest. Capture her soon, Raklovic. He’s an impatient ruler, and your head is much too beautiful to be decapitated.” Nechama stated calmly.
Determination creased his brow as he glanced over his shoulder to find his quarry still scattering through the forest in the distance. “Don’t doubt me, Nechama. I will obtain Clarimond.”

*

Point of View: It's not my protagonist, but I can't really say who it is(;
Words: It's only 428, but I think it'd be too cluttered if I added more.

I think this has been the best challenge so far, because it's helped me expand on my idea so much and some of the background on the - sort of - antagonist. I've also decided to use this for my third chapter ;D. So, thank you Ned!

1 comment:

  1. So, I kind of love this.
    The dialogue is great and (I was just reading Into The Darkness) your characters are so well defined!
    I love your writing.

    ReplyDelete