Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sarah Says Goodbye

Dear Ladies,

Real life is a funny thing, you know.

In real life, saying the right thing at the right moment is beyond crucial. So crucial in fact, that most of us start to hesitate, for fear of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. But lately what I’ve began to fear more than that, is letting the moment pass with saying anything.

There’s a time for silent, and there a time for waiting your turn. But if you know how you feel, and you so clearly know what you need to say…

You’ll know it.

I think I need to speak now, because that’s what my heart is telling me I should do. And who am I to deny my heart what it wants?

You guys should know that over the past year and half, I’ve been through so much that something sinister was working its way through me. Something so dark and scary that I tried to ignore it for a long time.

I've been the victim of growing up, which apparently happens to all of us at one point or another. It's been going on for quite some time now, without me knowing it.

I've found that growing up can mean a lot of things. For me, it doesn't mean I should become somebody completely new and stop loving the things I used to love. It just means I’ve changed.

The reality of my grandfather’s illness and the hardship of my brother abandoning my family, and million other things I don’t feel comfortable telling you guys about, hit me hard. My entire world was changing around me, and I along with it.

I was so afraid of these changes that I would put on this mask, this strange façade where I was still that same old Sarah, the one who loved talking about pointless things and didn’t mind being frivolous.

Apparently I was very good at this. My friends and teachers didn’t notice a difference in my behavior, or they didn’t care enough to show it. I would smile through my classes and small talk my way out of conversations, all the while covering up everything I was feeling and all of these drastic changes I was facing.

Everybody has that point in their life where you hit a crossroads and you've had a bunch of bad days and there's different ways you can deal with it. The way I dealt with it was through faith.
And I think faith has helped me more than anything else could. Because even though I can’t prove that God is out there scientifically, I know He is. I know because I have the courage to believe in something I can’t see or hear or taste or smell. I believe in something that not right there at my fingertips, but I still believe in Him with all of my heart and mind and soul.

I’m not trying to force this down your guy’s throats or anything, please don’t take it that way. I’m just trying to explain some things to you that I never had the courage to explain before because I was afraid.

But through my fear, I’ve learned something very important: you will always know more in the future than you do now. For instance…

1. Self tanner actually doesn’t look natural.
2. Your parents aren’t always wrong.
3. People will burn you.
4. Just because the bottle says mild, doesn’t mean the sauce won’t be hot.
5. Boys are stupid 98% of the time
6. Friends come and go.
7. Carry an extra pair of flip-flops with you in case the other break.
8. And saying certain things can hurt.

You guys can claim all you want that I said the “wrong” things in that post, but I don’t think I did. I said what was on my mind, which is, like, the definition of blogging. I didn’t mean to sound stand-offish, I was just tired of people hating on me, which you guys clearly didn’t understand.

Actually, I didn’t know Cori had a girlfriend of Brandon was gay or all of those other things. I don’t know if I missed those posts or what, but I simply didn’t know. And that’s not my fault.

I also don’t know why I’m saying all of this, because I don’t have to explain myself to you guys. No, it wasn’t a mistake and yes, I know you guys will disagree with me there.

I’m not ‘owning up’ to anything either or saying sorry. If you guys were hurt by what I said, you shouldn’t have been because I was just stating my opinion, which was stated in the beginning of my post.

I feel like I’ve been part of this group for too long. I’ve felt this way for a while now, not just after the big incident. At first, this was a great way to get help when I needed it but now I feel like I don’t belong anymore.

So, this is the post I’ve tried to make a million times but always deleted. This is my semi-formal goodbye. If I’ve ever offended you in anyway, I really didn’t mean to. But I’m also not apologizing because I don’t feel like I need to, because I only ever followed my heart, which can never be wrong.

Jeez, for the longest time I was afraid to tell you guys this, because I didn’t want to give it up, to lose something that’s been a part of me for this long.

I was afraid when I first sang on stage, but after belting it out I conquered that fear. I was terrified of snakes until I was twelve, when I was actually bit by one and didn’t die. I thought High School was going to be big and scary, but after my first day, I knew I would be okay.
I was afraid to speak up, but now I find it really easy.

And maybe that’s why it’s finally okay for me to type all of this out. Because I’m not afraid anymore. In fact, I’m kinda fearless now, which kinda rocks.

Best Wishes,
Sarah

4 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that religion has helped you so much, but I do disagree with you about it the post being a mistake. I'm actually still just baffled about where the post came from in the first place. Sure, that is what you do on a blog like you said, but it's a blog about writing. If it was your opinion on something, why wouldn't it go on your own personal blog?

    Also, even if you didn't know those things about Cori and Brandon, you must've known that it would've offended some of our own beliefs.

    I respect you for believing in something and believing in it so strongly too. But I've honestly lost respect for you for not apologising for how you've offended pretty much everyone here. It just seems quite inconsiderate.

    Anyway, I hope you don't leave because you're an amazing writer and I'm probably your biggest fan. Like everyone else has said, you're also an awesome addition to this blog and you're such a unique and funny girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to comment on the 'owning up' part, because I've already said my part. There is something else that caught my eye in this post.

    But you can't say no one cared, or noticed a difference, because, if you still count us as your friends, as I do you, then you'll remember that your friends did comment, and ask if you were okay, they did tell you to talk to them if you ever needed to.

    I even sent you messages on facebook, to see if you were alright- and I meant every word. Maybe we aren't your first choice of people to talk to, but we cared and we noticed.

    The point of this blog, I think at least, is also for friendship. But (and here's where I'm not sure, you make it both seem like you've wanted someone to talk about it with, and you haven't,) you aren't alone on these things. And if you feel you have been, it has been self-inflicted.

    But I guess it's great you're fearless now?

    Anyway, I have always loved your writing, (more than Nicole;) ) and I have always thought you were really nice, and funny, and amazing... incurably awesome fits well.

    But if you want to leave, then that is totally your choice, and all I can do is hope that you either choose not to, or you come back.

    -H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh...

    Well, I can't say that I didn't expect you to do this. I told Heather you were either going to cop out, or own up to what you had said.

    Now, prepare yourself for a long comment, because I have a lot to say.

    Starting with, I completely agree with Heather and Nicole.

    First off, I just want to say that we're all the same age as you, Sarah. (Give or take) And we're each going through hard things. Everyone does, like you said, at some point. So, you could have talked to any of us, at any point, but YOU chose not to. We didn't ignore you when you asked for people to talk to, because you never asked. Which is not our fault.

    If you want to play whose life has been the hardest, we can. Because everyone's life is hard, Sarah, and I can guarantee that I, and likely a lot of other girls on this blog, can make your problems seem very small in comparison to some of the things we've been through. Yet, we don't use them as excuses.

    Honestly, I couldn't care less about your views anymore. You can think what you like about gay people and religion. Have what ever opinions you want. It doesn't matter, to any of us.

    This entire thing really isn't about Gay people or religious views anymore. Its more about the fact that you aren't sorry. And I don't mean about your opinions, I mean about hurting and offending people you called your friends.

    Honestly, you had so many chances in this post where you could have apologized, without saying absolutely anything that would negate your other post. But you didn't, because your either too proud or too stubborn to admit that you didn't need to post something so hateful - and I don't care what you say about hate, what you said was hateful and rude and offensive to us, Especially because you knew we supported Homosexuality. - On a blog that is supposed to be about acceptance.

    Even if you didn't know that Cori and Brandon were Gay, don't you think it was a bit tactless not to apologize to them once you had found out?

    What I find even more sad, is that we need to ASK you to apologize. If were Racist, which im not, and I decided one day to start telling my friends about how Black people are disgusting and mean and terrible, and then I turned around only to find a black person behind me. Knowing that they had heard what I said, I wouldn't just laugh in their face. Which is basically what, by making this post, you've just done to every person on this blog.

    Like Nicole, I have lost all respect for you.

    So... to end my uber-long comment...

    "Apologizing doesn't always mean that you're wrong and the other person is right. It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego."

    "A person must be big enough to admit their mistakes, smart enough to profit from them, and strong enough to correct them"

    Maybe you should get over your Pride, and admit what you said was out of place and rude to us.

    'Everyone that is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord.'
    - Proverbs, Chapter 16, Verse 5.

    So... that pretty much makes you just as low as Homosexuals in the eyes of your God, huh? Wow. I guess all that bible studying may have done me some good.

    -K

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to add that you aren't fearless- if you were fearless, or if you really wanted to stand by your beliefs, you wouldn't have deleted your post, or your status.
    Don't start lying to us now, because that isn't cool. And neither is lying to yourself.

    -H

    ReplyDelete