Thursday, June 14, 2012

Rachel: Genre Addiction

So I'm sitting here on the nasty couch at my mother's house, reading over some of my written work and watching a very stupid movie, and I realized that I seem to write exclusively one genre: science fiction. There might be a little fantasy here and there and the occasional scene of romance or whatever, but I seriously JUST write sci-fi. What's more, it is all VERY weird stuff that basically no one on Earth but me would ever enjoy reading. That's the thing about my writing; it's exactly the type of writing that I would like to read, but probably just me. I can't help it! All of the ideas that I come up with just fit into that genre. ALL OF THEM. Does anybody else only think in one genre? Or is that just me? And what does that mean anyway, about my writing? It occurs to me that I might be sort of a weak writer because I am sort of limited to one style of writing but...oh, well. To be honest, I don't know that I will ever get published or anything like that, and if I don't, at least I know one person will enjoy what I write: me (haha). I suppose that that's why I write--for myself, and for now (or at least until I find someone with super bizarre taste in books) I am content to keep it that way.

3 comments:

  1. I love pretty much any genre I can get my hands on. If the writing draws me in, and the characters are awesome, then I'll thoroughly enjoy it.

    Being the dork that I am, I think most of the things I've ever written have had romance. A bunch of historical-based ones, dystopias, random paranormal fictions that sucked and this genre should never be touched by me ever again, and high fantasy, well, on that last one, sort of high fantasy.

    I think it'd be super awesome to try writing sci-fi though. I love reading it and I've wanted to try it, I've just never really had inspiration strike (at least, not in favour of it).

    And since you've already posted a couple times in like, a day, I think you are supremely awesome, because everyone else (okay, not everyone, per se) sucks.

    :D

    -H

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually only write fantasy xD! You're not alone. But I branch off to different areas of fantasy - steampunk, dytopian, and something that can't even be put into words (AKA, my novel).
    However, I will read pretty much anything. If the title is good, and I enjoy the summary, and the first word is to my liking (yes, I'm just that picky), I will read it. And I will enjoy it. So I think you're safe there.

    -Cori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! How long have I been with you on your writing Kupo? I mean seriously, and I like it! I think others would like it also! There's a very good chance that most of this group would enjoy reading it! By the way keep up the great work of posting! :D

    -Kamie

    ReplyDelete