Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Rachel: This is extremely random, but....

I was just working on filling out an updated charrie resume that Cori sent me (thank you, by the way) and I got to the astrological sign bit. I don't know everything about all of the signs by heart, so I just went online to read up on them and see which one fit my character best. Needless to say, I got completely distracted and started reading up on my own just because I remember that the last time that I did this I was weirded out because it was so creepily accurate. Unsurprisingly, reading the exact same information on the exact same sight yielded the same results, so I got to wondering...why are astrological signs able to describe us so well? I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, of course; there are bound to be Aquariuses that are nothing like what their sign says they should be. But for me it fits like a shoe...that fits...and it creeps me out. Why should some strange made up bologna be able to describe who I am so accurately? What does where the planets were positioned when I was born have anything to do with who I am? I think that is extremely odd. I might just sound stupid, but I would think that the circumstances that I was born into would have more of an effect on my personality than planets that I am nowhere near would. But if that's true, then how on Earth can astrological signs be so dag-nammed accurate?! RAWR!

Sorry to rant about this, but it is just something that that charrie resume forced me to think about.

-Iridian

6 comments:

  1. Honestly, I've done quite a lot of research on astrological signs and the myths and such behind them, and it tends to be quite inclusive with it's descriptions.

    I am an Aquarius, and while I do really relate to the traits that come with it, when I read the ones for Sagittarius and Taurus I see parts of myself in them as well. The thing that makes Astrological signs so relatable is that they tend to be very broad in their descriptions.

    Kind of the same as when I was sorted into Ravenclaw on Pottermore and read the opening letter and realized that I fit the things they said perfectly, but then I googled the other house opening letters and realized I could fit into any of them as well.

    They make them so broad and easily fit into that almost anyone could be an Gemini... or a Leo.

    -K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that makes perfect sense. I'd never considered that before.

      Delete
  2. I'm a Leo. To be honest, I've never actually done research on astrological signs, so I don't know if I fit any of the descriptions. Maybe someday I'll look it up and find out.

    Also, you're welcome! I hope you like the character resume. I update it often, so I'll try to remember to send you the new versions every once and a while.

    -Cori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those character resumes. They make me consider things about my characters that I never would have thought to come up with before. Yeah, keep me current with them!

      Delete
    2. I was actually updating it while writing that comment. So I'll send you the new one in a moment xD!

      -Cori

      Delete
  3. One morning, I was in the computer lab and I was supposed to be working (of course, I wasn't) and was instead looking up my horoscope. It was very broad, yes, and I was very overtired, yes, but IT WAS SO DANG ACCURATE.

    -H

    ReplyDelete